Lisa A. Hornung has been a writer and editor for more than 20 years at The Louisville Courier-Journal, Velocity magazine, Metromix.com, TechRepublic.com, and other newspapers and websites.
She has a bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of Georgia and a master’s degree in history at Eastern Kentucky University.
She can write about anything, but she mainly focuses on news, travel, technology and the arts.
She lives in Louisville, Ky., with her partner, Steven Smith, and their three obnoxious dogs and a cat.
Here is Lisa’s resume:
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, University of Georgia, 1996
Master of Arts in History, Eastern Kentucky University, 2016
Associate editor (current position)
- Edit, format and publish articles and videos from staff writers and freelancers, write headlines, deck heads, subheads, add links and optimize for SEO.
- Find photos and create photo illustrations.
- Create newsletters and downloads, promote articles on social media (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn).
- I write freelance articles and shoot photos for several local and national outlets, including USA Today, The Bark, InsiderLouisville.com, Group Travel Leader and StyleBlueprint.com.
Humana, the Hive, Louisville, Ky.
- Wrote and edited marketing copy for clients within Humana.
- Edited letters and newsletters for communications with members and physicians.
- Met with clients to discuss their marketing communications needs.
Jewish Community of Louisville
- Coordinated media relations, wrote press releases, promoted programs.
- Wrote stories, shot photos, proofed pages for monthly newspaper.
- Managed all social media, social media advertising, created newsletters.
Gannett Regional Design Studio, Louisville
- Copy editor, wire stories for regional Gannett newspapers.
- Headline, caption writer.
- Rehired by former Courier-Journal editors.
Velocity magazine, Metromix.com, Courier-Journal, Louisville
Copy editor, writer, web editor
- Generated story ideas and worked with editors on special editions.
- Won Society of Professional Journalist awards in 2008 for Service Reporting and Best Blog.
- Edited, managed and handled content and social media for Metromix.com.
- Wrote weekly columns on advice, books and food for Velocityweekly.com.
Richmond Register, Richmond, Ky.
- Turned a poorly performing newspaper into an award-winning daily in less than two years.
- Led a complete redesign that made the paper more reader-friendly. Managed a staff of 11 reporters, editors and designers.
- Won Kentucky Press Association award for Best Front Page. My staff won eight awards that year, including second-place General Excellence.
Content management systems, InDesign, SEO, HTML, SocialFlow, MarketMuse, Photoshop, Google G-Suite, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, ExactTarget, Constant Contact, CCI Newsdesk and Newsgate, AP Style, Chicago Style, public speaking, teaching.
Kentucky Waterways Alliance, Kentucky Historical Society, GRRAND Golden Retriever Rescue.